Monday 24 October 2011

My vintage Kantha quilt







                                                                      my kantha quilt






I've been admiring the vintage Kantha quilts for a very long time...
I love the way Bangladeshi women sew together old clothes and saris with precise handmade stitching to make warm but still elegant quilts.
Each of them is one of a kind.

I've searched everywhere for a Kantha that was perfect for my bedroom and my budget.
You can see beautiful ones on sites like Niki Jones.
They normally cost around £200 and more but I've been lucky to buy mine on Portobello Road from a tiny shop; the owner personally travels to India and Bangladesh to find his stock; I've been visiting him so often that I've almost became his friend. I paid less than half of the above price for a large double bed size.

My Kantha brightens up my all white bedroom with its delicate peach poppy flowers on a stricking orange background,  but when I want to tone it down, I can just turn it over to have a sea of emerald green and gold lines.  


No comments:

Post a Comment